Sorghum molasses is a sweet syrup made from sorghum grass. It’s a common non-sugar sweetener throughout the south, and it’s often compared to honey. It’s thick and sticky like true honey, but the flavor is much much deeper. You can find it labeled as both “sorghum syrup” and “sorghum molasses”. As long as you are sure that it has no added sugar, they are mostly the same. I do prefer the molasses because it is cooked down longer, making it thicker, darker, more concentrated and so much fuller and richer. Sorghum itself (the grass) is also processed into a flour to use as a gluten-free replacement. It does a good job of mimicking the taste of wheat without being as dense as flax or spelt.
It is pretty regularly available at fancy-pants markets (aka “specialty stores) – most Whole Foods carry it, and Amazon has a number of options; just make sure that whatever you choose doesn’t have any added sugars (be it the syrup or molasses).
Here is a quick recipe (seriously, like 5 minutes) to mix up and use on EVERYTHING.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (preferably Plugra or another European butter), softened to room temp
- 1/4 cup sorghum molasses (+ more by the teaspoon if you want it richer)
- 2 decent pinches of coarse grey salt
- Use the bread paddle for a KitchenAid to slightly whip the butter in the mixer (if you do not have a KitchenAid, a hand mixer will work just fine)
- Slowly add in the sorghum and salt, whipping continuously
My favorite use is on crunchy, sweet wheat toast with soft boiled eggs from my lovely backyard ladiesSorghum syrup is pretty regularly available at fancy-pants markets (aka “specialty stores) – most Whole Foods carry it, and Amazon has a number of options; just make sure that whatever option you choose doesn’t have any added sugars (be it the syrup or molasses).
- on roasted corn
- with toasty biscuits, cornbread, pancakes or waffles
- mix into a mild mac n’ cheese
- as a substitute for any sweetener
- as a condiment put out to a table full of food (you’ll just put it on everything)
Tell me what you enjoy it on!